Saturday, September 10, 2016

Shattering the Glass Slipper at My Fair Lady

Do I really want to take my 9 year old daughter to see a musical about human trafficking? That's what it boils down to. 

The lavish 60th Anniversary Production of My Fair Lady, directed by Dame Julie Andrews is stunning - the costumes are amazing, the sets like a pop-up story book, each more incredible than the last, the singing and choreography will knock your socks off! 

When Professor Henry Higgins takes Eliza Doolittle to the horse races at Ascot I'm blown away - the cast are all dressed in a black and white kaleidoscope of M.C. Esher-esque couture, topped off with a milliners fantasy of hats in all shapes and sizes. Instantly, I think of my daughter, the little girl who sits up in bed at night drawing ream after ream of fashion plates - Oh! I can't wait to bring her to see this fabulous show, I think!

But, from the minute I start thinking of Charlotte, the glass slipper bubble of Disney delight is shattered. How can I possibly bring her to see a musical which is, undeniably, about human trafficking? Whether or not Eliza Doolittle is a willing participant, the exchange of £5, the Victorian equivalent of a year's rent, has my feminist antenna erupting like a radio active Geiger counter. 

Poor Eliza, for all her bravado in 'Just You Wait', singing:
"When you yell you're going to drown, I'll get dressed and go to town!"
By the time she sings 'I Could Have Danced All Night' with that doe-eyed look on her face - she's doomed! She's gone and bloody fallen in love with Professor Henry Higgins, it's like watching Princess Leia fall in love with Jabba The Hutt!

Still, the romantic in me longs for the fairytale ending - surely the Professor will sweep her off her feet and carry her into the sunset? Love conquers all!

NO! What am I thinking?? My conscience backhand slaps these irrational thoughts and reprimands me sternly - how on earth can I wish this intelligent, hard-working, enterprising girl to end up with this spoilt, chauvinistic scoundrel? What sort of moral compass am I demonstrating for my daughter, pursuing such mawkish thought bubbles?

And what of Eliza's role models? The sponging alcoholic father who recommends giving her the strap if she doesn't do as she's told, the absent controlling step-mother? Poor Eliza, she wouldn't even have been able to cast a vote into a ballot box, let alone strike out alone, she was a woman living in a time with limited choices...

Yes, the production is stunning - all of it! - but most of all, the ending. 

I wonder if Dame Julie Andrews was just a teeny tiny bit tempted to change the ending? I wonder if she secretly contemplated a new millennial twist to the Pygmalion plot? 

But no, I doubt that crossed her mind, she is after all a Dame Commander of the British Empire, one of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II BFFs. She is a battleship of established society, faithful to old guard and the stiff upper lipAs polished and poised as the remodelled Eliza Doolittle herself.

I've decided I can't wait to take my daughter to see My Fair Lady, and I'm going to take my son too, and then I'm going to sit down and have a jolly good discussion with them afterwards, perhaps over cucumber sandwiches and Twinings earl grey tea with lemon. There's a lot to talk about.


The 60th Anniversary production of My Fair Lady is playing at the Sydney Opera House until 5th November. Starring Alex Jennings, Anna O'Byrne, Reg Livermore, Robin Nevin, Tony Llwellyn-Jones & Mark Vincent.


I'd love to know, what production have you taken your children to see, or are looking forward to sharing with them?

4 comments:

  1. I want to share with you a great source about ALS cure my father of 73 years of age got cured from ALS permanently, he was diagnosed at the age of 69 and he have been on a sick bed for many years, he recently got cured with natural herbal treatment from Dr Ogbeifun the traditional herbalist healer. I'm so happy that my father can now live a normal life with me again after many years he suffered from ALS all thanks to Dr Ogbeifun, my father is now free from this deadly disease called ALS, if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr Ogbeifun email is been attached to my post reach him for help ogbefunhearlingtemple @ gmail. com or whatsapp him or call him through his phone number +2348102574680.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share with you a great source about ALS cure my father of 73 years of age got cured from ALS permanently, he was diagnosed at the age of 69 and he have been on a sick bed for many years, he recently got cured with natural herbal treatment from Dr Ogbeifun the traditional herbalist healer. I'm so happy that my father can now live a normal life with me again after many years he suffered from ALS all thanks to Dr Ogbeifun, my father is now free from this deadly disease called ALS, if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr Ogbeifun email is been attached to my post reach him for help ogbefunhearlingtemple @ gmail. com or whatsapp him or call him through his phone number +2348102574680.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JOIN ILLUMINATI HOME OF RICHES,FAME AND POWER FROM ANY COUNTRY +27785167256… Are you a businessman,student,teachers, trying to become rich. here is the opportunity you have been waiting for to get the riches. the Illuminati are welcoming new member to the brotherhood which are going to be bless with money. Once you are a member there are benefit you are going to receive such as: A Cash Reward of USD $9,000,000 USD, A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at USD $800,000 USD. A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice One Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination. One year Golf Membership package A V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the World, A total Lifestyle change Access to Bohemian Grove Monthly payment of $5,000,000 USD into your bank account every month as a member. illuminati home of riches,fame and power help you get to your dream,where you can rule the world, contact Us to proceed with your initiation,,
    ,WHATSAPP US +27785167256 The Illuminati is World wind organization. Bringing the needy and the talented to lamplight of fame and riches. Get money, fame, powers, security, get recognized in your business, political race, rise to the top in whatever you do, be protected spiritually and physically! WELCOME TO ILLUMINATI How to join Illuminati In Switzerland – How to join Illuminati In Sweden -How to join Illuminati In Norway – How to join Illuminati In Dubai – How to join Illuminati In Saudi Arabia -How to join Illuminati In Oman • How to join Illuminati In Austria • How to join Illuminati In belgium • How to join Illuminati In Netherlands • How to join Illuminati In Australia • How to join Illuminati In China • How to join Illuminati In Botswana and other How to join Illuminati In australia. How to join Illuminati In spain and angentina and molaysia and mexico and ghana nigeria and all the countries…. hello everybody i am very happy to share with you this good thing Lord Lucifer has done in my life i want to use this medium to testify of his good work in my life…i was strangely struggling in other for me to earn a dime for a living… but with his help and all i was initiated into the great fraternity of Illuminati which great things happen i was asked to decide and choose between the riches and the life of poverty so i think twice and i remembered that even though i looked round and go for help from other people they will always turn me down so i made up my mind and decided to make a deal with the lord Yohan Jean and then things started happening at first i was asked to do so many things so with the few money i had, i used it in initiating myself into the great brotherhood so immediately i was initiated, and was also asked to render my bank details to them and then they surprise me with a huge amount of MONEY. Further i was issued a MAGIC RING,MEMBERSHIP ID AND GOWN, Later on shiped to me Illuminatiam, Talisman and in less few days i was called out for a meeting and i got my Amulets for supper powers and protection of me all round. I also attended the grand anniversary and the great pyramids of Ancient times.JOIN ILLUMINATI HOME OF RICHES,FAME AND POWER FROM ANY COUNTRY +27785167256… .

    ReplyDelete
  4. A POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER +27605775963 SHE IS SPECIALIZES IN RESTORING BROKEN MARRIAGES CONTACT HIM DIRECTLY ON HIS EMAIL OR WEBSITE
    Power full native traditional doctor herbal medicine can fix broken marriages HERBALIST TRADITIONAL CANADA, GERMANY, SAUDI ARABIA, Power full native traditional doctor herbal medicine can fix broken marriages / Relationship in Cape Town / South Africa / UK / Pretoria.
    Spiritual Healing and spiritual center where miracles are done by herbalist Doctor in Cape Town, South Africa, uk, Johannesburg, Pretoria Strongest Traditional healer with strong traditional medicine Doctor can now solve husband and wife problems in Cape Town / Johannesburg / South Africa / Traditional African medicine and spiritual herbalist healing is now common in the miracle center of herbalist Docotor in Cape Town / mpumalanga / limpopo / free states / kzn / gauteng, South Africa, uk, Johannesburg, Pretoria. Traditional Doctor and love spell caster herbalist doctor in cape town can help you win lotto, divorce cases, short boxes, horses in Johannesburg, Pretoria, South Africa, Uk. Herbal healer and Traditional healer Herbalist doctor +Drmamaalpha can fix and protect your home because, business in Cape Town / Johannesburg / Pretoria / Uk. Contact African international and traditional spiritual herbalist healer herbalist doctor in cape town can get you promoted at your work and work with traditional spirits and work spells. Contact . Call Or Whatsapp on +27605775963Contact African international and traditional spiritual herbalist healer herbalist doctor in cape town can get you promoted at your work and work with traditional spirits and work spells. Contact . Contact African international and traditional spiritual herbalist healer herbalist doctor in cape town can get you promoted at your work and work with traditional spirits and work spells. Contact . Call Or Whatsapp on +27605775963
    Web: https://5cde9dab89efa.site123.me/

    ReplyDelete

Social Media Share

Get widget